Sunday, April 5, 2009

Authentic Play. (Warning: Poopie talk ahead)

In education, culminating activities are deemed most effective when they relate to real life. Teachers are encouraged to create projects that mirror an authentic experience that the students may encounter outside of the classroom. In that way, the activities become more meaningful, which impacts learning positively.

With that being said...

Yesterday, my son, who is 3 1/2 years old, wanted to play with playdough. We spread out the mat (which they now provide so it doesn't get all over your carpet), and he arranged the various tools that came with the kit. Some of the tools had been kept in a little plastic baggie, so he dumped them out onto the mat too. Then he decided just what to do with the playdough...

Make poo.

I was on the computer at the time, and just watching him peripherally, until he asked me to help him make the poo. So I went down on the floor with him and helped him to push the playdough through the tool, so that it came out of the tube like a long piece of, you guessed it, poo.

Then I watch my son, pick up the plastic bag, put it over his hand, pick up the poo, turn the baggie inside out, and seal it.

This is EXACTLY how my husband and I pick up Max's poo from the yard!

What a proud moment for me! He has been watching us clean up after Max for three weeks now. When he saw the plastic bag among his tools, he connected it to cleaning up the yard. He had the idea to make poo with his playdough, and then used the plastic bag to mimic cleaning up Max's poo.

It was truly one of those moments when I just looked at my son in awe....

And all because of some playdough poo.

No comments:

Post a Comment