Sunday, March 22, 2009

And the winner is...

This morning I ran my first 5K of the season. I actually felt a little nervous when I woke up at 5:30 am, but I wasn't quite sure why. Maybe it was because it has been a little while since my last official public run (October) But my hubby and son and puppy came along to cheer me on, so I was really psyched.

I met my sister and her friend, Kara, in Hampstead at 7:30 am. My parents were also there to cheer us on. I was really glad to see them! Before I knew it, it was time to get ready for the run. We worked our way up to the front of the pack and the race began!

Willie started running down the road after me. He told Pip (my mom), "I'm going to catch Mommy." One day, he'll be running right alongside me!

I ran the race in 30 minutes, 42 seconds, but even more important, I felt really good despite my muscles not being warmed up. (My legs literally felt frozen as I was running.) The last part of the race was on an incline, but I finished the race really strong. I love seeing the finish line and feeling that final burst of energy to get there as fast as I can! Laura finished just behind me. Kara finished way ahead of me. We were all really happy with how we did! Kara and Laura are going to try to do a triathlon with me this summer. I just need to find one where the swim is completed in a pool...They are not up for swimming in a lake.

Can't say I blame them...

We stood around after the race talking and then I suddenly got so cold!! We made our way back to the car, and I bah-lasted the heat as I ate two pretzel rods. After a hot shower at home, I felt so much better!

Last night I planned out the races that I'd like to do this summer. The cumulative event will be in October with my first half marathon. Up until then, I plan to compete regularly in 5Ks and triathlons (regularly=1 to 2 per month).

I feel really good about my fitness level. (I'm exercising every day.)
I feel really great about my continued weight loss. (I'm down to 163 pounds!! Woot! Woot!)
I feel really hopful about this upcoming race season. (God willing, my body continues to hold up and perform for me.)

And finally, a very special happy birthday wish to my sister-in-law, Mendy! I wish I was there to celebrate, but your gift will be sent in the mail. Thanks for being such a wonderful friend to me. I love you a lot!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment